Jane Austen Festival‎ > ‎Costumes‎ > ‎

kellyl

Name: Kelly Lock

Town and State: Melbourne, VIC

About Myself:

I am married with five children and (when I am not at home cleaning up mess) I work as a teacher. I love history, reading, sewing and other crafty things. I began making historical costumes when I got bored with sewing mainstream clothing.

Proposed Outfit:

I need to make a full men’s outfit, shirt, cravat, waistcoat, tailcoat, trousers and breeches.
I would also like to make a girl’s dress, another chemisette, another chemise, a cloak, and a spencer/pelisse. I also have to do some embroidery detail around the bottom of my ball gown.

Month 1: May

For my first piece, I wanted to make a man’s 18th Century shirt (or poet’s shirt) for my husband’s Regency wardrobe.

For my inspiration, I found a pattern in Norah Waugh’s The Cut of Men’s Clothes, and I also found this example in the Victoria and Albert Museum collection.

Here is my finished shirt!

 

I had to make it a little bigger around the armholes, wrist cuffs, and neck, to make it fit properly. I also made it about 8 inches shorter than period examples.

Month 2: June

For my second piece, I made a cravat. After doing a little bit of research, I ended up doing a few that were different lengths and widths. It seems that different types of cravat ties work differently depending on the type of fabric, and the width/length/shape of the material.

If you want to see my successes with cravat tying, you can visit my blog page at: http://teainateacup.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/my-mr-knightley-tying-a-cravat/

In terms of my progress in other areas, I have already finished my July garment (a men’s Regency waistcoat) and have begun my August garment (an M-notch tail coat). Hopefully this relieves the pressure when my husband goes into hospital this month! 



Month 3: July



For my third costume garment, I have made a Regency waistcoat. This portrait of the 6th Duke of Argyll (1801) was the only picture I could find of a waistcoat with lapels.


I drafted my pattern from an 1850’s waistcoat pattern in Norah Waugh’s “The Cut of Men’s Clothes”, and made some minor changes to it to make it fit the Regency period more closely.

It is single-breasted, with an upright collar and triangular lapel. It is made out of a brocaded upholstery fabric, with the back and the lining made from cotton broadcloth.

I found it interesting to see that the waistcoat is very full in the front of the chest, and you can tell that it was fashionable to have a rounded chest (kind of like a rooster!). I am really happy with the final result!

There are more details of construction on my blog: http://teainateacup.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/my-mr-knightley-making-a-regency-waistcoat/
Comments