Please join our email list at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/dance-news or join our facebook group to receive notifications about the festival. Tickets are on sale now at http://jafa2014.eventbrite.com.au/
In the meantime, below is a very draft program subject to change as more presenters join us. If you have an exciting presentation you wish to share with us, please contact Aylwen.
The next Jane Austen Festival Australia will be held from 10-13 April 2014 at University House within the Australian National University and will celebrate 200 years since the publication of Mansfield Park. Plans are underway to bring you a program that – like the novel – is engaging, thought-provoking and diverting.
Jane Austen Talks
Jane Austen’s use of letters in Mansfield Park and her personal letters referring to Mansfield Park
Visit one of Jane Austen's letters in the National Library of Australia
Mansfield Park and the Navigable World
“Mansfield Park and education”
'‘No moral effect on the mind: Music and education in Mansfield Park’
“The Genius of the Place”: Mansfield Park and the improvement of the estate.
Josephine - Good time girl, just another aristocrat, or a product of her time?
War of 1812 - First on the field, the last to leave.
The 95th Rifles
'Pugilism and Single-stick'
Fashion of 1814
Jane Austen's Pelisse
Period Outdoor Games
Sewing & Craft Workshops
Regency Day Cap
Making a mushroom pleated trim
Tying Men's Cravats
Eyelets, buttonholes, and other fasteners
Conservation & Storage
Period stitching and construction techniques
Theatre & Dance
Maria Bertram on the Island
Punch & Judy
1814 Fashion Display
Pre-Ball Regency Dance Workshops
Jane Austen Festival Ball, Saturday night
Jane Austen Cotillion Dance, Sunday night
Jane Austen Festival Variety Night & Formal Dinner
Festival Friends Events
1. Day tour to Cooma Cottage, George Harcourt Inn and the National Museum of Australia Archives (maximum 20)
2. Costume Research study tables (maximum 10)
3. Visit to the National Film & Sound Archives on Saturday 12 April. (maximum 15)
Items to Note
- Become a Friend of Jane Austen Festival Australia at jafa2014.eventbrite.com
- Thursday Regency Games Night: 6.30pm-9pm Welcome Night with light refreshments, tea & coffee; regency games & sewing tables for those who need to finish their gowns (!) (Drawing Room, University House)
- Friday Night: Catered Dinner & Variety Night 6.30-10.30pm
- Saturday Night: Jane Austen Festival Ball 6.30pm-11.00pm
- Sunday Afternoon: Mansfield Park Symposium and various presentations followed by Jane Austen Cotillion Dance.
PRESENTERS AT THE 2014 JANE AUSTEN FESTIVAL AUSTRALIA
Joanne van Raaphorst
Professor William Christie
Dr Gillian Dooley
Dr Heather Nielsen
Professor Christine Alexander
Dr John Gardiner-Garden
If you have questions or would like to have a sales or display table at the festival, please contact:
Mrs Aylwen Gardiner-Garden
Director, JAFA 2014